Waterstone's Story Cubes Project

Did you know that November is NanoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month? I was asked if I wanted to be a part of Waterstone's Story Cubes project and I agreed, always wanting to 'expand' my writing! The idea is that a group of eight bloggers will contribute one chapter each using Rory’s Story Cubes to guide the narrative.

You can read chapters one, two and three here. Here is my addition:



The earth began to shake and I stood there unable to move. I could hear people screaming around me but I just stood glued to the spot in terror. I could almost hear time ticking away in my head, the clinking of beads, as they drew nearer and nearer. Then, like a slap to the face I came to and darted into the shelter of a nearby store. The beings landed in the streets outside and I could see on closer inspection that what had seemed to be woollen bodies was in fact some sort of suit, which was completed with black masks over their heads.

I made myself as small as I could, sensing that these beings weren't friendly. Then, again, that stupid jacket that I should have discarded ages ago starting vibrating and glowing. I grabbed the phone and found the only thing nearby that I could - a kite - and started hitting it, trying to shut the thing up. It was too late, and the creatures heard me. All of a sudden I was moving towards them, being pulled like a magnet. I grabbed hold of the door as I was led out of the store, but it was futile. They had me in their grip and they would do who-knows-what with me.

Just as I had accepted my fate and given up the fight, I saw a flash. And then again and again - lightning. I immediately dropped to the ground, the phone still in my hand. I looked around me in a daze to see the creatures had taken back to the skies, fleeing.

I tried to get up but my foot was killing me. I must have been higher than I thought when I dropped. I started to drag myself across the ground, to safety, when an arm caught mine and started hoisting me up. I panicked, and pulled away as much as I could, just when I thought I was safe I had been caught. I feared what would happen to me. But then I heard a voice. 'Hey, it's ok. I'm here to help.' A girl. The same girl I had heard on the phone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top buzzoole code