Create something special by upcycling this Christmas!



Now that the clocks have gone back, whether we like it or not, it's time to admit that Christmas is just around the corner. Christmas can be a great time for parents and children alike, but for those of us who have to shell out it can also be a great source of stress. Every year the Internet is awash with ideas of how to cut back on spending for Christmas. One that's very much on trend The process of “re-using discarded objects or material to make something of higher quality or value than the original.” 

When I first heard about the trend I was a little dubious, but after reading up on it a little and indulging my creative side, I now can't get enough! You can take any ordinary household item that you may have cast aside for a charity shop and turn it into something fabulous. One of my first projects, I'll admit, was a little ambitious. After years of staring at mine and my husband's lacklustre bed, we both knew it was time for a change. I just never had the heart to throw it out; after all, this was the bed that signalled the start of our marriage. When I discovered upcycling however, I realised that all I needed to do was make a few little changes! I found a great selection of headboards online and took off the old and tired looking headboard and replaced it with another. Wham. Good as new.

I soon realised that if I could do something so big, I could easily transform my creative talents into something smaller, such as a Christmas gift. There are plenty of upcycling Christmas gift ideas on Pinterest, and while some of these can look a little dated in their current state, there's nothing that a little TLC or lick of paint can't do.

DIY Chalkboard Mug
It's also perfect for Christmas decorations – how many years have you been holding on to those tired old baubles? With a little help from your children, you can breathe new life into your baubles by adding a little glitter and glue. You can change colours, designs and patterns, and the best part is, it'll cost a fraction of what it would have cost to nip to the shop and buy a whole other box-load!

Turn old CD's into decorations

Happy up cycling!


*In collaboration with Slap Up Media

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top buzzoole code