How I Made It Into Tots100's Top 50


So this week I found out I made into in the top 50 of Tots100. For anyone who isn't sure what this is, it's the chart for parent bloggers which has over 8000 blogs in it, so top 50 is pretty darn good. So today I thought I'd share how I did it.

The answer: I don't bloody know.

And that is the truth. I have been blogging for five years now, and in the that time I've had so many discussions about Tots rankings and how they are worked out I've lost count. I've had rants about scores, I've had tears (yes, tears) and I've become completely disheartened by it all. In fact just two months ago I decided I didn't give one and I was just going to blog for me. Which, I'd like to point out, is still the case.

So, instead of telling you some magic secret which will get everyone straight to number on next month's chart, I thought I'd tell you what I've done on my blog which may have helped my score.

1. I have a linky. Whilst many aren't keen on linkies, I enjoy mine and it has opened me up to other bloggers and vloggers who I might never have come across. Hosting a linky can also help your inbound links as people link back to you. Also joining linkies will help this.

2. I have updated my Tots profile to include all my social media. You need to make sure as many of these you have are added to your profile so they can be included in the metrics. Instagram is the latest addition, so make sure to add this.

3. I have a few inbound links now. After five years I would like to think I have gradually increased the amount of inbound links to my blog. One can only hope anyway. I've done this by guest posting, joining in round ups and carnivals and generally having the odd piece of content shared here and there gradually increasing those links.

4. I spoke at a conference or two. Now I am definitely no expert, let me get that straight, but it has been nice to share what little knowledge I have with those who have been willing to listen, and I have been mentioned on blogs since who have written up the event they were attending. More nice inbound links.

5. I have the Tots badge in my sidebar. In order for Tots to measure your page impressions and unique visitors you need to have a badge on your blog - find yours here.

6. I stopped trying. In complete honesty being in top of the charts isn't the be all and end all. There are nice opportunities and it's good to be recognised, but the most important thing about your blog is your blog. Do it for you and you'll be way ahead of the game.

Tots 100 also have their own guide up on the site, so have a look at that for lots more info.

post signature


*Come back next month to see me drop like a boulder to the bottom of the blogging pile.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top buzzoole code